Weekly updates will be a regular feature on the blog for the next two months. My personal trainer, Cindy and I are competing in The Diva Classic on May 5th, 2018 in Duluth, MN.
She’ll be competing in the figure division and I’ll be doing bikini, so there’s no direct competition between the two of us. ?
Not sure of the difference? Check out this mega post that breaks it all down for ya!
Read on to see how I faired over the last week and what’s coming up this week:
7 Weeks to Go
Being a fan of tangibly being able to measure my progress, here’s a snapshot of where I’m at in pictures:
Center: I take weekly progress photos with my Instax cameras by Fujifilm (plus my phone), so I can physically see my progress during competition prep.
Right: I weigh myself weekly using an old digital scale from my days working for Jenny Craig (here’s a similar one) – I’ve always had a strong interest in health and fitness and helping others become their best selves.
People have been asking me lately if I really need to lose more weight.
The short answer? Yep!
I’m shooting for at least 139 (I’m 5’9) and 15% body fat. It seems a long way off now, but I’ll do my best!
What happened over the last week:
To keep things nice and to the point, I’m going to offer up a list of highlights/lowlights bullet-point style:
- I love seeing new lows on both the scale and body fat side of things. While neither are as big of changes as I’m looking for (and need really), at least we’re moving in the right direction!
- One of the reasons might be because I tried the Keto diet for about a week, didn’t see the pounds “melt off the scale” as promised (even though I was totally in ketosis multiple days running) and then switched to 40/30/30 (carbs/protein/fat) and tracking my macros.
- What sucks is that I totally got through the feeling depleted phase and was starting to get my energy back… basically we’re too close to competition day at this point, so we decided to switch back to a “tried and true” method instead. It was an interesting experiment – I just should have tried it earlier in the process!
- I haven’t had a cocktail in over two weeks and don’t plan on imbibing before show day. Score!
- On the workout front, I did six days of strength training as planned (one was a total flop though with the low energy/nausea from the dietary changes), two days of booty bands (gotta get that butt tight!) and six days of cardio (either steady state via the elliptical or by going for a run and HIIT via sprints on the treadmill).
- So working out was good, but I could have pushed myself harder if I had more energy. My cardio sessions will also likely get longer each week going forward as well.
- I got fitted for my swimsuit! Jay, the seamstress (do you call dudes seamstresses?) has an awesome personality and really did make the experience enjoyable. First we tried on a “copy” of the suit I had picked out for look and then tried on a red number (not my suit color) for fit. I’m making him add a teeny bit of material to the front section on my bottoms… I AM a mother after all!
- I also officially registered for the show! I’m competing in the “Bikini-Beginner” and “Bikini-Open” (which is a pro qualifier). I’ve read that it makes sense to enter two divisions for your first show in order to get the extra practice, so I’m spending an extra $75 to do so.
- They then called to schedule my lie detector test (testifying that I don’t use steroids and the like), which will be another $50 the Friday before show day. I’m working on a “True Costs of Competing” post as I make my way through this process to show y’all, well, exactly what it costs!
- I also scheduled an individual posing session for next Friday, which I’m excited about. I was NEVER a cheerleader, in dance (unless you count a year or two of clogging, which I don’t!), beauty pageants or anything like that, so this will be a really new thing for me. Hopefully the posing coach can help me – I’m a bit clumsy and don’t demonstrate a “natural swagger,” so we’ll see…
- My mood has been all over the place, which makes me feel like a bit of a failure – I don’t like not feeling in control or when I find myself on edge. ?
Pssst… Cindy and I are doing semi-regular video updates via our Facebook page – check em out here!
What’s coming up this week:
I’ll be continuing with tracking my macros and really eating clean. I’d like to be two pounds lighter when I update you next week!
My workouts should remain the same (six days of weights and six of cardio, plus extra booty bands) and I’m hopeful my energy level will return somewhat. I also get to go to my posing sesh – wish me luck!
Here’s to another very successful week!
Are you currently working towards a specific fitness goal? Tell us all about it in the comments, so we can cheer each other on!